Partner visa (onshore 820 and 801)
Partner visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801).
There are two types of Partner Visas: Subclass 820 and Subclass 801. The Subclass 820 visa is a temporary partner visa that allows you to live in Australia. The Subclass 820 visa is the first stage towards a permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 801). You apply for both visas at the same time and pay only one application charge. Applications are processed in two stages, about two years apart.
Partner visa (onshore 820 and 801)
To be eligible for partner visa, you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with:
- An Australian citizen
- An Australian permanent resident
- An eligible New Zealand citizen
To apply for Partner visa to Australia:
- You must be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when we decide your temporary visa application. Family who apply with you must also be in Australia
- include family members in your application when you apply
- add family members to your application after you apply but before we decide on your visa
For partner visa, family members are:
Family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our health and character requirements.
Family members who do not apply for the visa with you might also have to meet the requirements.
You must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:
Australian permanent resident or
eligible New Zealand citizen
Your relationship can be with someone of the same or different sex.
You don’t have to pass English test for partner visa.
Partner visa (temporary) a two-step process:
Step 1: The first part of the application process is the application.
Step 2: Is to apply for sponsorship. This part must be completed and lodged by your Australian Partner ( Sponsor).
The same situation is with 801 Partner visa (permanent). You can apply for 801 permanent visa 2 years after lodgement of your 820 partner visa and that visa was granted.
820 Partner visa it is a temporary visa until your 801 Partner visa is granted.
801 partner visa is permanent and once you have that visa, you may stay in Australia indefinitely.
While you are waiting or you are on Partner visa subclass 820:
You can live, work and study in Australia while we process your permanent Partner visa
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want
You can attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
You may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
With 801 Partner Permanent visa:
- You can live, work and study in Australia indefinitely
- You can sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
- You can apply for Australian citizenship when eligible
When you apply for 801 Partner visa you dont have to pay visa fee. You paid for this visa when you made your combined application for the temporary and permanent partner visas.
You can be in or outside Australia when you loading your 186 visa application. You can also apply for 186 visa while you are a holder of a BVA,BVB or BVC ). If you had a history of visa being refused or cancelled, pleas contact us.