Project Description

Partner visa (offshore 309 & 100)

Partner visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. Getting this visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

There are two types of Partner Visas: Subclass 309 and Subclass 100. The Subclass 309 visa is a temporary partner visa that allows you to live in Australia. The Subclass 309 visa is the first stage towards a permanent Partner Visa (Subclass 100). You apply for both visas at the same time and pay only one application charge. Applications are processed in two stages, about two years apart.


Partner visa (offshore 309 & 100)

To be eligible for partner visa, you must be married to or in a de facto relationship with:

  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen

To apply for Partner visa to Australia:

  • You must be in a genuine relationship with your spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • You must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when we decide your temporary visa application. Family who apply with you must also be in Australia

Include family

You can:

  • include family members in your application when you apply
  • add family members to your application after you apply but before we decide on your visa

For partner visa, family members are:

Family members who apply for the visa with you must meet our health and character requirements.

Family members who do not apply for the visa with you might also have to meet the requirements.

Basic Eligibility

You must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:

Australian citizen
Australian permanent resident or
eligible New Zealand citizen

Your relationship can be with someone of the same or different sex.

You don’t have to pass English test for partner visa.

Partner visa (temporary) a two-step process:

Step 1: The first part of the application process is the application.

Step 2: Is to apply for sponsorship. This part must be completed and lodged by your Australian Partner ( Sponsor).

Sponsorship is not required for  100 Partner visa (permanent). You can apply for 100 permanent visa 2 years after lodgement of your 309 partner visa and that visa was granted.

309 Partner visa it is a temporary visa until your 100 Partner visa is granted.

309 partner visa is permanent and once you have that visa, you may stay in Australia indefinitely.

While you are waiting or you are on Partner visa subclass 309, you must stay outside of Australia unless you applied for other visa allowing you to stay onshore.

With 100 Partner Permanent visa:

  • You can live, work and study in Australia indefinitely
  • You can sponsor eligible family members to come to Australia
  • You can apply for Australian citizenship when eligible

How much cost visa to Australia

When you apply for 801 Partner visa you dont have to pay visa fee. You paid for this visa when you made your combined application for the  temporary and permanent partner visas.

Partner visa  subclass 309  it is offshore visa, so bridging visa is not available for you.

However Partner visa subclass 100 can be lodged and granted onshore and bridging visa is granted for you.