What you need to know if you want to give someone an assurance of support for certain types of visas and agree to support them financially.
If you give an assurance of support you’re the assurer. Person receiving assurance from you is –assuree
To become assurer you must apply to be approved.
As an assurer you may need to give a bank guarantee through the Commonwealth Bank.
Once you give an assurance of support, you can’t cancel it.
This is the rule even if any of the following occurs:
- your assuree becomes an Australian citizen
- your relationship with them breaks down
- you’re in financial hardship.
We may cancel the agreement if your assuree dies.
To be an assurer you must do all of the following:
- pass the income test for the current and previous financial year
be an Australian resident
be 18 or older
give us proof of identity
be able to get a bank guarantee if we ask for one.
Check if you’re eligible
You need to pass an income test to be eligible.
The income you need to pass this test depends on all of the following:
- how many people are in your immediate family
- if you’ll have 1 or 2 adult assurees
- if you’ll be the only assurer or giving a joint assurance
- how many dependent children you have.
How to apply fro Assurance of support. https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assurance-support/how-apply
Check Assurance of Support checker to work out if you are eligible to be an assurer. This will also let you know if you meet the financial requirements.
If you need immigration advise or assistance, please call 1300 10 50 50 or contact our consultants. You may also book an online appointment with our Lawyers or Migration Agents.