This visa is for the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen planning to apply while in Australia. A Spouse Visa may be suitable for you if you are currently in a relationship with an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen and hope to live in Australia with your partner.
To be eligible, all applicants must prove that their relationship is genuine and continuing. Financial commitment, social acceptance, emotional support and the nature of the household are ways of demonstrating this. Applicants who are in a long-term relationship will often receive their visa approvals for the 820 and 801 at the same time.
You must be able to prove the following:
- Joint financial aspects of the relationship.
- Join the nature of the household arrangement.
- The social aspects of the relationship.
- The nature of the couple’s commitment to one another.
1. Partner/Spouse Visa (Temporary) Subclass 820
This visa is the first step towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You will be able to work and study while you hold this visa. You will also have access to Medicare.
2. Partner/Spouse Visa (Permanent) Subclass 801This visa lets the applicant live in Australia permanently. It is for people who currently hold or have applied for a temporary Partner (subclass 820) visa. *Applicants who are in a long-term relationship will often receive their visa approvals for the 820 and 801 at the same time.
For more comprehensive information regarding Australian FamilyVisas, contact one of our expert agents at 1300 10 50 50 or email us here.