Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)

About the program
The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provides up to 510 hours of English language tuition to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants to help them learn foundation English language and settlement skills to enable them to participate socially and economically in Australian society.

Are you eligible?
You may be eligible for the AMEP if you are a permanent resident of Australia or you hold an eligible temporary visa listed below.

In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia to remain eligible:

register with an AMEP service provider within six months (or 12 months if you are under 18 years of age when you arrived in Australia)
commence your tuition within 12 months
complete your tuition within five years.
You might be able to access the AMEP after these time frames if you apply for an extension.

To find out if you are eligible or to register for the program you should contact your nearest AMEP service provider.

Where can I learn English?
The Adult Migrant English Program is delivered at around 300 locations across Australia in major cities as well as rural and regional areas.

Find details of your closest program service provider by state and territory on the AMEP service provider’s page.

Help in other Languages
We have information about the AMEP available in other languages. To see translated information in your language, visit our information in other languages page.

English language classes
English language classes generally take place at learning centres and are delivered by AMEP service providers.

You can choose from a range of learning options including:

classroom tuition through either full-time or part-time study, including some weekend and night classes (where available)
two streams of tuition, Pre-employment English stream and Social English stream
distance learning through online or hard copy learning materials supported by weekly skype/telephone contact and a virtual classroom lesson with an AMEP qualified teacher
Volunteer Tutor Scheme, which provides language assistance by a trained volunteer
self-paced e-learning using an online package to support and supplement your learning on an independent basis.
If you have under school-aged children, the AMEP also provides free childcare services, while you are participating in AMEP classes.

Document translation
The Free Translating Service is provided by the Australian Government for people settling permanently in Australia, to support participation in employment, education and community engagement. Permanent residents and select temporary or provisional visa holders can have up to ten eligible documents translated, into English, within the first two years of their eligible visa grant date. Eligible documents include identity and relationship documents, facilitation documents such as driver’s licences, education documents and employment-related documents.

For more information or to submit an application for the Free Translating Service go to the Free Translating Service website. The website is easy to use and is available in English, Arabic, Farsi and Simplified Chinese.

Where can I find out more about the AMEP?
Find out more about the AMEP by reading the English classes for eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants in Australia fact sheet (563KB PDF)

Eligible temporary visas for AMEP
Access to the Adult Migrant English Program is extended to some temporary visa holders as specified in the legislative instrument for English Courses for Holders of Certain Temporary Visas.

These include the following classes of temporary visas:

Bridging F (Class WF)
Business Skills (Provisional) (Class UR)
Business Skills (Provisional) (Class EB)
Interdependency (Provisional) (Class UG)
Partner (Provisional) (Class UF)
Partner (Temporary) (Class UK)
Resolution of Status (Temporary) (Class UH)
Safe Haven Enterprise (Class XE)
Skilled – Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (Class UZ)
Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX)
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 489)
Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) (Class UO); and
Temporary Protection (Class XD).